C 10 1/2 Ton Pickup 2WD V8-379 6.2L DSL VIN C FI (1982)
Backup Lamp Switch: Customer Interest
Backup Lamps/Tailgate Window Release - Inoperative
Corporate Bulletin No.: 168104
ASE No.: A6
Subject: BACKUP LAMPS OR TAILGATE WINDOW RELEASE INOPERATIVE
Model and Year: 1980-91 ALL LIGHT DUTY TRUCKS (EXCEPT GEO)
Owners of some 1980-1991 C/K, 1982-1991 G, 1985-1991 M/L, 1984-1991 P2,P3, 1987-1991 R/V, 1983- 1991 ST (including LLV) with automatic
transmissions may comment on a condition of inoperative back-up lamps or inoperative tailgate window release. This condition occurs when the
vehicle's gear shift lever is placed in the "reverse" position, but the back-up lamps do not illuminate. In addition, on the S/T utility vehicles, the electric
tailgate window release does not release when the transmission gear shift lever is placed in the "park" or "neutral" position and the endgate window
release button is depressed. The park/neutral and back-up lamp switch comes out of adjustment which does not allow for the contact points to remain
To correct these conditions, the contact carrier on the park/neutral and back-up lamp switch has been modified to increase switch carrier travel.
1. Disconnect the battery ground cable from the battery.
2. Disconnect the switch assembly harness.
3. Place the gear selector in neutral.
4. Squeeze the tangs on the switch together and remove the switch assembly.
5. Install the new switch assembly (P/N 15679680) by:
-aligning the actuator with the cutout in the steering column jacket.
-inserting the tangs into the rectangular holes and pushing
down on the switch assembly.
6. Adjust the switch by moving the gear selector to park.
7. Connect the switch assembly harness.
8. Connect the negative battery cable.
9. Check for proper switch operation. Readjust the switch as necessary.