Tracker 4WD L4-1.6L VIN 6 (1998)
Alarm Module: Service and Repair
PASSLOCK Reprogramming Auto Learn
PASSLOCK REPROGRAMMING AUTO LEARN
IMPORTANT: If a new vehicle/powertrain control module (VCM/PCM) is being installed for the first the manufacturing enable bit will be set and the
auto learn procedure may not be necessary.
The following procedure allows for anyone to reprogram the EVO/PASSLOCK module learned data code with any tools, other than the scan tool, when
any of the following parts are replaced:
The EVO/PASSLOCK module
The PASSLOCK sensor
The EVO/PASSLOCK module will set the DTC B3031 in the learn mode when entering the reprogramming procedure.
IMPORTANT: Erase the PASSLOCK related Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) that are stored in the VCM/PCM. If there are any powertrain related
DTCs, record these DTCs then refer Diagnostic System Check. See: Powertrain Management/Computers and Control Systems/Testing and Inspection
The following is the Auto Learn Procedure:
1. Insure the ignition key is in the ON position.
2. Clear all EVO/PASSLOCK module and VCM/PCM DTCs. Record and refer any VCM/PCM DTCs to "Diagnostic System Check". See:
Powertrain Management/Computers and Control Systems/Testing and Inspection
3. Momentarily rotate the ignition key to the CRANK position (Do NOT start the vehicle), then release it to the RUN position (Do NOT key OFF in
4. Wait 10 minutes. Observe the SECURITY indicator. Refer to the following list for the appropriate responses:
If the PASSLOCK sensor was replaced the SECURITY indicator will flash for the 10 minutes duration.
If the EVO/PASSLOCK module was replaced, the SECURITY indicator will flash for a few seconds and then remain ON for the remainder of
the 10 minutes duration.
If the VCM/PCM was replaced with a new programmed VCM/PCM and connected to the vehicle for the first time, the vehicle will start and
this procedure may not be necessary.
If the replacement VCM/PCM was connected to any vehicle at any other time, even momentarily, the SECURITY indicator will flash for a few
seconds and then remain ON for the 10 minutes duration.
5. The SECURITY indicator will transition from flashing to ON briefly to OFF after 10 minutes if remaining in the ignition ON position.
6. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position and wait for 10 seconds.
7. Repeat steps 3-6 two more times. The new security code is ready to be communicated among the PASSLOCK sensor, EVO/PASSLOCK module
and VCM/PCM. The new password is learned on the next ignition lock cylinder cycle from OFF to CRANK to ON (start attempt).