Intrepid V6-2.7L VIN R (2003)
Solar Sensor: Service and Repair
WARNING: ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AIRBAGS, DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY
STEERING WHEEL, STEERING COLUMN, OR INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENT DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. DISCONNECT
AND ISOLATE THE BATTERY NEGATIVE (GROUND) CABLE, THEN WAIT TWO MINUTES FOR THE AIRBAG SYSTEM
CAPACITOR TO DISCHARGE BEFORE PERFORMING FURTHER DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. THIS IS THE ONLY SURE WAY TO
DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM. FAILURE TO TAKE THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS COULD RESULT IN AN ACCIDENTAL
AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.
1. Open the hood and disconnect the negative battery cable remote terminal from the remote battery post.
2. Remove the instrument panel top cover.
3. Remove the two Sun Sensor mounting screws.
4. Lift the sensor out of the instrument panel and disconnect the wiring.
5. Remove the sensor from the vehicle.
1. Connect the wiring harness connector to the sensor and position in the vehicle.
2. Install the two sensor fasteners.
3. Install the instrument panel top cover.
4. Connect the negative battery cable remote terminal to the remote battery post.
CAUTION: The sun sensor must protrude approximately 1/4 in. above the instrument panel top cover. This will ensure proper operation.
If the sensor does not protrude 1/4 in., perform the following procedure:
Confirm that the top cover is properly installed
Remove the top cover
Remove fasteners from sun sensor
Install one 1/4-20 nut per fastener under the sun sensor so that it is shimmed higher
Reinstall the sun sensor. Do not overtighten screw. If a longer screw is required, use 8-15 x 1 inch.