Eagle L4-150 2.5L (1983)
Transfer Case Actuator: Testing and Inspection
Fig. 4 Axle shift motor. Eagle
1. Disconnect vacuum harness from transfer case shift motor.
2. Connect suitable vacuum pump to shift motor front port.
3. Apply 15 inches of vacuum to shift motor and rotate rear propeller shaft to fully engage transfer case in four wheel drive mode.
4. Shift motor should maintain vacuum applied to front port for minimum of 30 seconds. If shift motor does not maintain vacuum, proceed to next
5. Disconnect vacuum pump from shift motor front port. Connect pump to shift motor rear port, plug front axle connecting port, and apply 15 inches
of vacuum to motor.
6. Shift automatic transmission into park. Shift manual transmission into first gear.
7. Shift motor should maintain vacuum applied to rear port for minimum of 30 seconds. If shift motor does not maintain vacuum, replace motor. If
motor does maintain vacuum proceed to next step.
8. Remove cap from shift motor axle connecting port and check for vacuum at port. If there is no vacuum at port, rotate rear propeller shaft as
necessary to ensure complete transfer case engagement. The transfer case must be completely engaged before the shift motor stem will extend
fully and open the axle interconnecting port.
9. If vacuum is present at shift motor axle connecting port after fully engaging transfer case, refer to diagnostic procedures.
10. If vacuum is still not present at shift motor axle connecting port, slide boot away from shift motor stem and measure distance stem has extended.
Stem should extend distance of 5-8 inch as measured from edge of shift motor housing to E-ring on stem. If shift motor stem does not extend to
specified distance, refer to diagnostic procedures. If shift motor stem does extend to specified distance but vacuum is still not present at axle
connecting port replace motor.