E 150 V8-4.6L SOHC VIN W (2004)
Fuel Pressure Release: Service and Repair
FUEL SYSTEM PRESSURE RELEASE
Do not smoke or carry lighted tobacco or open flame of any type when working on or near any fuel-related component. Highly flammable
mixtures are always present and can be ignited, resulting in possible personal injury.
Fuel in the fuel system remains under high pressure even when the engine is not running. Before repairing or disconnecting any of the
fuel lines or fuel system components, the fuel system pressure must be relieved to prevent accidental spraying of fuel, causing personal
injury or a fire hazard.
1. Remove the fuel pump fuse from the engine compartment fuse box.
2. Start the engine and allow it to idle until it stalls.
3. After the engine stalls, crank the engine for approximately 5 seconds to make sure the fuel injection supply manifold pressure has been relieved.
4. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
5. When fuel system service is complete, install the fuel pump fuse.
6. NOTE: It may take more than one key cycle to pressurize the fuel system.
Cycle the ignition key and wait three seconds to pressurize the fuel system. Check for leaks before starting the engine.
7. Start the vehicle and check the fuel system for leaks.