Ford Workshop Manuals
E 150 V8-4.6L SOHC VIN W (2004)
Maintenance > Air Bag(s) Arming and Disarming > System Information > Service and Repair > Air Bag System Reconnect Checklist > Page 2897
Air Bag(s) Arming and Disarming: Service and Repair
Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) Depowering and Repowering
WARNING: Always wear safety glasses when repairing an air bag supplemental restraint system (SRS) vehicle and when handling an air bag module.
WARNING: Never probe the connectors on the air bag module. Doing so can result in air bag deployment, which can result in personal injury.
WARNING: To reduce the risk of personal injury, do not use any memory saver devices.
CAUTION: To avoid potential damage to the restraints control module (RCM), make sure the RCM and bracket assembly is secured to the floor pan
NOTE: If a seat equipped with a supplemental restraint system (SRS) component is being serviced, the SRS must be depowered.
NOTE: The air bag warning lamp illuminates when the RCM fuse is removed and the ignition switch is ON. This is normal operation and does not
NOTE: The SRS must be fully operational and free of faults before releasing the vehicle to the customer.
1. Turn all vehicle accessories OFF.
2. Turn the ignition switch to OFF.
3. At the central junction box (CJB), located below the LH side of the instrument panel, remove the cover and the restraints control module (RCM)
module fuse F2.20 (10A) from the CJB.
4. Turn the ignition ON and visually monitor the air bag indicator for at least 30 seconds. The air bag indicator will remain lit continuously (no
flashing) if the correct RCM fuse has been removed. If the air bag indicator does not remain lit continuously, remove the correct RCM fuse before
5. Turn the ignition switch to OFF.
6. WARNING: To avoid accidental deployment and possible personal injury, the backup power supply must be depleted before repairing or
replacing any front or side air bag supplemental restraint system (SRS) components and before servicing, replacing, adjusting or striking
To deplete the backup power supply energy, disconnect the battery ground cable and wait at least one minute. Be sure to disconnect
Disconnect the battery ground cable (14301) and wait at least one minute.
1. WARNING: The restraint system diagnostic tool is for restraint system service only. Remove from vehicle prior to road use. Failure to
remove could result in injury and possible violation of vehicle safety standards.
Make sure all restraint system diagnostic tool(s) that may have been installed during the repair have been removed from the vehicle and
2. Turn the ignition switch from OFF to ON.
3. Install the RCM module fuse F2.20 (10A) to the CJB and install the cover.
4. WARNING: Be sure that nobody is in the vehicle and that there is nothing blocking or set in front of any air bag module when the
battery ground cable is connected.
Connect the battery ground cable.
|[PREV PAGE] [NEXT PAGE]|