K 1500 Truck 4WD V8-350 5.7L (1986)
PROM - Programmable Read Only Memory: Service and Repair
*** UPDATED BY TSB #91-318-6E DATED MAY 1991
When installing a service replacement computer, the use of incorrect MEMCAL installation procedures may cause the computer to fail before it
can be installed in the vehicle. This condition may appear as if the computer were defective when shipped to the dealership, when in fact it was
damaged while being installed. In addition this condition may also occur when installing an updated MEMCAL into the vehicles original
Excessive vertical force may be applied to the MEMCAL resulting in flexing of the circuit board and damage to the connections between the
circuit board and attached components. Excessive vertical force may be generated in two ways.
Incorrect MEMCAL installation procedures.
Interference between MEMCAL and cover.
This procedure supersedes any instructions regarding MEMCAL installation dated prior to September 1990.
1. Inspect the MEMCAL to determine if a cork spacer is glued to the top side of the MEMCAL assembly. If so, remove it prior to installation.
2. Align small notches with matching notches in Computer MEMCAL socket.
3. VERY GENTLY PRESS down on the ends of the MEMCAL until the locking levers are rotated toward the sides of the MEMCAL.
NOTE: To avoid Computer damage, do not press on the ends of the MEMCAL until the levers snap into place. Do not use any vertical force
beyond the minimum required to engage the MEMCAL into its socket.
4. While continuing light pressure on the ends of the MEMCAL, use your index fingers to press the locking levers inward until they are snapped into
place. Listen for the click.
5. Install MEMCAL cover and install Computer cover.