PB 150 V8-318 5.2L VIN T 2-BBL (1983)
Ball Joint: Service and Repair
Upper Ball Joint Replacement
EXC. 4 WHEEL DRIVE
Upper Ball Joint
1. Place ignition switch in the "Off" position.
2. Using a suitable jack raise front of vehicle and position a jack stand under lower control arm as close to wheel and tire assembly as possible.
3. Remove wheel and tire assembly.
4. Remove cotter pin and nut from upper ball joint stud. Position tool No. C3564-A or equivalent over lower ball joint stud, allowing tool to rest on
knuckle arm, then set tool securely against upper ball joint stud.
5. Tighten tool to apply pressure against upper ball joint stud, then strike knuckle with hammer to loosen stud.
6. Remove tool, then detach upper ball joint from knuckle. Support knuckle and brake assembly to prevent damage to lower ball joint and
7. Remove upper ball joint from upper control arm, using tool No. C3561.
8. Reverse procedure to install. Thread upper ball joint into control arm as far as possible by hand. Torque upper ball joint into control arm to 125 ft
lb. Install ball joint into steering knuckle, then torque attaching bolts to 135 ft lb. Ball joint seals should be replaced whenever they have been
Lower Ball Joint
1. Remove coil spring, refer to "Coil Spring, Replace" procedure.
2. Remove ball joint seal, then press ball joint out of lower control arm using tool No. C-4212 or equivalent.
3. Reverse procedure to install.