Plymouth Workshop Manuals
Prowler V6-3.5L VIN G (1999)
Transmission and Drivetrain > Automatic Transmission/Transaxle > Bell Housing, A/T > Component Information > Adjustments > Engine Bell Housing > Page 3132
Bell Housing: Adjustments
To establish the correct bearing preload, a new crush sleeve must be used whenever disassembly of the bell housing is necessary. A new flange nut
1. Install new crush sleeve.
5. Lightly tap bearing into position using flange (Fig. 23).
7. Install the washer and a new nut on the shaft. Tighten flange nut using Special Tool # 6958 holder (Fig. 24). Use a deep 1 1/8 inch socket.
CAUTION: Never loosen flange nut to decrease shaft bearing rotating torque and never exceed specified preload torque. If preload torque is
NOTE: A new collapsible spacer will start to crush at around 265 ft. lbs. torque. If the spacer requires more than 280 ft. lbs. torque to crush, the
9. Using yoke holder 6958, a short length of 1 inch pipe, and a torque wrench set at 380 Nm (280 ft. lbs.), crush collapsible spacer until bearing end
play is taken up.
10. Slowly tighten the nut in 6.8 Nm (5 ft. lbs.) increments until the rotating torque is achieved. Measure the rotating torque frequently to avoid over
crushing the collapsible spacer.
|[PREV PAGE] [NEXT PAGE]|