Intrepid V6-2.7L VIN R (2003)
Air Bag Control Module: Service and Repair
Occupant Restraint Controller
Five Passenger Vehicle Replacement
OCCUPANT RESTRAINT CONTROLLER - 5 PASSENGER VEHICLES REPLACEMENT
1. Open hood and disconnect the negative battery cable remote terminal from the remote battery post.
2. Wait two minutes for the system reserve capacitor to discharge before servicing any airbag components.
NOTE: If working on a Concorde, the Instrument Panel must be removed. Refer to Body, Instrument Panel for Removal and Installation. Then go
to Step 11.
3. Remove one screw to shift knob.
4. Remove two screws to shifter bezel.
5. Disconnect power outlet connector and remove bezel from vehicle.
6. Remove left instrument panel end cap covering the junction block.
7. Remove two screws to steering column cover then pull toward rear of vehicle to disengage clips.
8. Open glove box door. Continue to pull down on the door until the glove box drops and you see the screws in the upper and lower left corner or the
glove box bin.
9. Pull the right console side panel off.
10. Remove two screws to left console side panel and pull off.
11. With the ORC now exposed, slide the red Connector Position Assurance (CPA) tab out. Press down on the locking latch and disconnect the ORC
12. Remove the two side module mounting screws on the drivers side.
13. Loosen the top screw on the drivers side.
14. Lift up the module and slide out the ORC.
NOTE: If the ORC cannot be lifted out, the passenger side screw needs some additional loosening.
15. Remove the ORC from vehicle.
WARNING: THE ORC IS A SAFETY MODULE AND FAILURE TO INSTALL AND SECURE IT PROPERLY, COULD CAUSE THE
MODULE TO POSSIBLY MALFUNCTION AND CAUSE PERSONAL INJURY.
1. Position the ORC (arrow pointing forward in vehicle) on the ORC mounting bracket. The mounting bosses on the controller will correctly position
the ORC on the bracket. Attach the ORC to the bracket with the three screws supplied and torque to 88 to 124 in. lbs. (10 to 14 N.m).
CAUTION: USE SUPPLIED SCREWS ONLY.
2. Tighten the top screw on the drivers side.
3. Install the two side ORC mounting screws on the drivers side.
4. Connect ORC 23-way connector and slide the red Connector Position Assurance (CPA) tab in.
NOTE: If working on a Concorde, the Instrument Panel must be installed. Refer to Body, Instrument Panel for Installation and then go to
Electrical, Restraints, Diagnosis and Testing - Airbag System.
5. Install left console side panel and two retaining screws.
6. Install the right console side panel.
7. Install the screws in the upper and lower left corner or the glove box bin.
8. Close the glove box door.
9. Install the steering wheel cover and the two screws to steering column cover.
10. Install the left instrument panel end cover covering the junction block.
11. Connect power outlet connector and install the center bezel into vehicle.
12. Install the two screws to shifter bezel.
13. Install the one screw to shift knob.
WARNING: DO NOT CONNECT THE BATTERY NEGATIVE CABLE REMOTE TERMINAL. REFER TO ELECTRICAL,
RESTRAINTS, DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING - AIRBAG SYSTEM FIRST.
Six Passenger Vehicle Replacement
OCCUPANT RESTRAINT CONTROLLER - 6 PASSENGER VEHICLES REPLACEMENT