Grand Cherokee 2WD V6-3.7L (2008)
Jump Starting: Service and Repair
STANDARD PROCEDURE - JUMP STARTING
WARNING: Review all safety precautions and warnings in the Battery System section.
Do not jump start a frozen battery, personal injury can result.
If equipped, do not jump start when maintenance free battery indicator dot is yellow or bright color.
Do not jump start a vehicle when the battery fluid is below the top of lead plates.
Do not allow jumper cable clamps to touch each other when connected to a booster source.
Do not use open flame near battery.
Remove metallic jewelry worn on hands or wrists to avoid injury by accidental arcing of battery current.
When using a high output boosting device, do not allow battery voltage to exceed 16 volts. Refer to instructions provided with device
Failure to follow these instructions may result in personal injury or death.
CAUTION: When using another vehicle as a booster, do not allow vehicles to touch. Electrical systems can be damaged on either vehicle.
TO JUMP START A DISABLED VEHICLE:
1. Raise hood on disabled vehicle and visually inspect engine compartment for:
Battery cable clamp condition, clean if necessary.
Yellow or bright color test indicator, if equipped.
Low battery fluid level.
Generator drive belt condition and tension.
Fuel fumes or leakage, correct if necessary.
CAUTION: If the cause of starting problem on disabled vehicle is severe, damage to booster vehicle charging system can result.
2. When using another vehicle as a booster source, park the booster vehicle within cable reach. Turn off all accessories, set the parking brake, place
the automatic transmission in PARK or the manual transmission in NEUTRAL and turn the ignition OFF.
3. On disabled vehicle, place gear selector in park or neutral and set park brake. Turn off all accessories.
4. Connect jumper cables to booster battery. RED clamp to positive terminal (+). BLACK clamp to negative terminal (-). DO NOT allow clamps at
opposite end of cables to touch, electrical arc will result. Review all warnings in this procedure.
5. On disabled vehicle, connect RED jumper cable clamp (2) to positive (+) terminal. Connect BLACK jumper cable clamp (1) to engine ground as
close to the ground cable attaching point as possible.
6. Start the engine in the vehicle which has the booster battery, let the engine idle a few minutes, then start the engine in the vehicle with the
CAUTION: Do not crank starter motor on disabled vehicle for more than 15 seconds, starter will overheat and could fail.