Sephia Sedan L4-1.6L SOHC 16V (1993)
Speedometer Module: Testing and Inspection
The speedometer is connected to the differential of the transaxle by a flexible cable and a driven gear assembly. The cable drives the speedometer
which registers speed in miles per hour and kilometers per hour. The cable also drives an odometer which records distance travelled in miles and
tenths of a mile. The speedometer driven gear assembly also contains the vehicle speed sensor.
1. Using a speedometer tester, check speedometer for allowable indication error, and check operation of odometer.
2. Check speedometer for fluctuation and abnormal noise. If significant fluctuation occurs or speedometer does not move at all, then proceed to next
3. Disconnect speedometer cable from instrument cluster and transmission case.
4. Verify cable and gear spin easily when turned by hand.
5. If cable is stiff replace cable or gear.
6. If cable and gear are satisfactory, then check the vehicle speed sensor.