Freelander Service Procedures
INTERMEDIATE REDUCTION DRIVE
1. Clean pinion housing and mating face on IRD
2. Clean spacing washer.
3. Fit spacing washer to IRD.
4. Lubricate new 'O' ring with IRD fluid and fit to
groove in pinion housing.
5. Fit pinion housing.
6. Fit exhaust bracket and heat shield, secure with
nuts and tighten to 10 Nm (7 lbf.ft).
7. Fit nut securing heat shield to IRD and tighten
to 45 Nm (33 lbf.ft).
8. Fit remaining nuts securing pinion housing and
tighten all nuts to 25 Nm.
9. Ensure mating face of propeller shaft and IRD
drive flange are clean.
10. Fit propeller shaft to IRD flange and align
marks. Tighten nuts and bolts to 42 Nm (31
11. Fit front exhaust pipe.
12. Lower axle and remove jack.
13. Fill IRD to correct level with fluid.
14. Fit underbelly panel.
15. Remove stands and lower vehicle.