PB 150 V8-318 5.2L VIN T 2-BBL (1983)
Steering Column: Service and Repair
Fig. 1 Steering column installation. Motor Home
1. Disconnect battery ground cable.
2. Remove pot coupling to steering gear shaft clamp nut and bolt.
3. Disconnect electrical connector at column jacket.
4. Remove horn and pad assembly, then remove steering wheel using a suitable puller. Do not attempt to remove steering wheel using a hammer
as damage to the steering column and shaft will result.
5. Remove the 4 boot floor plate retaining bolts.
6. Remove the two column clamp to tilt assembly screws and remove column.
1. Place floor plate and boot on column, then slide column assembly through floor pan opening.
2. Position column so that steering shaft bearing blocks are centered in the pot coupling, then torque the clamp bolt to 35 ft lb
3. Install but do not tighten steering column upper bracket bolts.
4. With wheels in a straight ahead position, center the steering shaft in the column.
5. Center boot and floor plate and tighten screws.
6. Torque the steering column bracket bolts to 30 ft lb
7. Install steering wheel with master splines aligned and torque nut to 27 ft lb Do not drive wheel onto shaft, use nut to draw it down.
8. Install horn switch parts, connect battery ground cable and check operation of lights and horn.