Remote Switch: Service and Repair
WARNING: ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AIRBAGS, REFER TO AIR BAGS AND SEAT BELTS/AIR BAGS SYSTEMS BEFORE
ATTEMPTING ANY STEERING WHEEL, STEERING COLUMN, OR INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENT DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE.
FAILURE TO TAKE THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIR-BAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE
1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. Wait two minutes for the airbag system capacitor to discharge before further service.
2. From the underside of the steering wheel, remove the 3 bolts that secure the driver side air- bag module to the steering wheel.
3. Pull the airbag module away from the steering wheel far enough to access the wire harness connectors on the back of the airbag module.
4. Unplug the airbag module and horn switch wire harness connectors from the back of the airbag module.
5. Remove the driver side airbag module from the vehicle.
6. Remove the steering wheel from the steering column.
7. Unplug the wire harness connector from the remote radio switch (5).
8. Remove three screws securing steering wheel rear cover.
9. Remove the remote radio switch from the steering wheel by depressing tabs on each side of switch.
NOTE: The right remote radio switch back is white in color. The left switch back is black in color. The right/left remote radio switch orientation
is with the steering wheel installed, and driver in drivers seat.
For installation, reverse the above procedure. The switches can only be installed one way Be careful to index them correctly before pressing them
into place. Tighten the airbag module mounting screws to 10.2 N.m (90 in. lbs.).