Plymouth Workshop Manuals
PB 150 V8-318 5.2L VIN T 2-BBL (1983)
Steering and Suspension > Steering > Steering Gear > Component Information > Service and Repair > Manual Steering Gear Service > Page 2957
Fig. 7 Removing adjuster plug
1. Position gear in vise with gear housing end plug facing up.
screwdriver to be inserted to lift ring out.
3. Rotate coupling flange counterclockwise until rack-piston just forces end plug out of housing. Remove plug from housing. Do not rotate any
further than necessary or balls fall out of their circuit and pitman shaft teeth and rack-piston will become disengaged.
4. Remove rack-piston end plug, using a 1/2 inch square drive.To make removal easier, tap rack-piston end plug with a plastic mallet to unseat
threads. This is important as end plug is tightened to 75 - 80 ft-lbs during assembly and could break during removal if not handled carefully.
5. Remove lock nut from pitman shaft adjuster screw and discard.
10. Tap end of pitman shaft with a soft mallet and slide pitman shaft out of housing.
force rack-piston onto arbor, and remove rack-piston from gear housing.
13. Remove stub shaft-to-coupling flange retaining screw and remove flange.
1. Remove pitman, shaft outer dust seal retaining ring.
holes with washer and nut as extractor.
Stub Shaft & Spool Valve Removal
Fig. 13 Valve & worm removed from rack.Model 605
|[PREV PAGE] [NEXT PAGE]|