Plymouth Workshop Manuals
PB 150 V8-318 5.2L VIN T 2-BBL (1983)
Steering and Suspension > Steering > Steering Gear > Component Information > Service and Repair > Manual Steering Gear Service > Page 2974
Fig. 7 Center bearing preload check
Fig. 8 Staking worm shaft bearing adjustment nut
Fig. 9 Installing reaction seal & O-ring
8. With worm shaft in retained position as described in step 6, loosen adjusting nut, then place several rounds of cord around center bearing race.
Make a loop in one end of cord, then attach a spring scale to loop. Pull cord using spring scale, which will cause bearing race to rotate. Tighten
9. With worm shaft in retained position as described in step 6, stake upper part of worm shaft adjusting nut into knurled area of shaft, then hold a 1/4
inch flat end punch on center line of worm shaft end at a slight angle. Strike punch, then check preload. If adjusting nut moved during staking
10. Position spacer assembly over center race, engaging race slot with dowel pin and spacer slot over cylinder head ferrule. Ensure valve lever hole
in center bearing race is aligned with center spacer.
11. Install upper reaction ring on center race, then the spacer with flange down against spacer.
cylinder head ferrule.
14. If oil seal was removed from housing head, install new seal using tool No. C-3650, ensuring lip of oil seal faces bearing and seal is driven inward
until tool bottoms on support.
15. Apply a suitable lubricant to reaction seal, then insert into groove on face of housing head with flat side of seal out. Install housing head O-ring.
|[PREV PAGE] [NEXT PAGE]|