Prowler V6-3.5L VIN G (1999)
Shift Cable: Adjustments
The gearshift cable should be adjusted if any of the following repairs or situations are encountered:
Valve body repair.
Shift cable replacement.
Gearshift mechanism replacement
Interlock cable replacement.
When there is no cranking in park or neutral.
If the following conditions are encountered, the interlock cable is out of adjustment. Refer to Interlock Cable Adjustment procedure.
When the transaxle can be shifted without the key in the ignition.
If the key can be removed with the shifter in reverse.
When the key cannot be removed with the shifter in the park position.
1. Remove shifter handle and console bezel.
2. Loosen nut on shifter cable adjuster (Fig. 362).
3. Make sure that the transaxle shift lever (at transaxle) is in the Park position. This is the most rearward position. Verify park sprag is fully engaged.
CAUTION: Park sprag must be engaged when adjusting linkage. Rock vehicle back and forth to ensure that park sprag is fully engaged.
4. Place shifter in park position.
5. Place ignition in lock with key removed.
6. Tighten adjuster nut at shifter to 225 inch lbs.
7. Reinstall console bezel and shifter handle.
8. Check shifter for proper operation. It should operate smoothly without binding. The vehicle should crank in Park or Neutral only,