Freelander Service Procedures
ENGINE - K SERIES KV6
11. Position an Allen key in tensioner backplate
and hold tensioner pulley against timing belt.
12. With assistance, position timing belt tensioner,
fit new Patchlok bolts and tighten to 25 Nm (18
CAUTION: Ensure tensioner plunger is
contacting underside of tensioner
13. Remove tools LRT-12-175 from rear timing belt
14. Fit tools LRT-12-196 to both front inlet
camshaft gears and into the end of each
CAUTION: Special tools must be fitted when
tightening or loosening gear retaining bolts,
otherwise damage to camshafts may occur.
15. Tighten front inlet camshaft gear bolts to:
Stage 1 - 27 Nm (20 lbf.ft)
Stage 2 - Further 90
16. Remove tools LRT-12-196 from both inlet
camshaft gears and exhaust camshafts.
17. Remove wedge from between drive belt and oil
pump belt guard.
18. Remove 1.5 mm diameter pin from tensioner.
19. Clean exhaust camshaft front cap seal
locations and fit new cap seals.
CAUTION: The sealing edge of the cap seal
and mating face must be clean and dry.
20. Position engine front mounting plate and
manoeuvre plate into position; fit bolts but do
not tighten at this stage.
21. Fit bolts securing IRD support bracket to front
mounting plate; do not tighten bolts at this
22. Tighten bolts in the sequence shown:
M10 bolt - No.1 - 25 Nm (18 lbf.ft)
M10 bolt - No. 5 - 45 Nm (33 lbf.ft)
Bolts Nos. 2, 3, 4, 6 and 7 - 85 Nm (63 lbf.ft)
23. Position engine lifting bracket, fit bolts securing
lifting bracket and front mounting plate to
cylinder block and RH cylinder head and
M8 bolt - 25 Nm (18 lbf.ft)
M10 bolts - 45 Nm (33 lbf.ft)
24. Fit rubber blanking plug around tensioner.
25. Clean end of dipstick tube.
26. Position dipstick tube to sump and cylinder
block, fit bolt and tighten to 9 Nm (7 lbf.ft).
27. Clean lower timing belt cover.
28. Position lower timing belt cover, fit and tighten
bolts to 9 Nm (7 lbf.ft).
29. Remove timing pin LRT-12-232.
30. Clean crankshaft pulley.
31. Fit crankshaft pulley to crankshaft gear and
ensure that the indent on pulley locates over
the lug on crankshaft gear.
32. Fit crankshaft pulley bolt and washer, position
LRT-12-161 with LRT-12-199 into crankshaft
pulley. Tighten pulley bolt to 160 Nm (118
33. Remove tools LRT-12-161 and LRT-12-199.
34. Clean ancillary drive belt tensioner.